Democratic Conduct of political parties and Qualifications, Experience & Assets of the office bearers of the recognized political parties
The Central Information Commission
Block IV, Old JNU Campus,
Opp. Ber Sarai market,
New Delhi – 110066
This is to inform you that Election Commission (EC) didnt provide necessary information sought in application of January30, 2009, in PIO letter dated 27-2-2009 that as mailed on 2-3-2009 with remark "The necessary information may be provided if approved" to the people of India through press and to this applicant that would have significantly contributed in conducting "Free & Fair" elections.
Civil Appeal No. 7178 of 2001 judgment delivered on 02.05.2002, Supreme Court of India fully empowered EC to frame rules and procedures to ensure "Democratic Conduct" of political parties and collect all the necessary information that included assets of the close family members of the candidates contesting candidates.
But either EC didn't collect the information or refused to provide similar information in respect of "Recognized Political Parties" when this applicant specifically sought through RTI.
It is important to state here EC maintains Voters lists and ID card records of 700 million voters that is available on the websites of EC offices but doesn't provide most important information concerning about 5000 to 10,000 Officers Bearers of Recognized Political Parties 95% of whom get elected to legislature at city, state and national level. How can EC conduct Free & Fair elections by withholding crucial information from voters?
Aren't people of India entitled to know –
1. Qualifications, Experience & Assets of the office bearers of the recognized political parties. 2. The procedure to appoint office bearers of the Central Working Committee. 3. Membership or Enrollments of the recognized political parties and conditions of enrolment.
Obviously EC ought to have collected all the above information before "Recognizing & Renewing Recognition of Recognized Political Parties."
CIC may kindly take note of the fact applicant sought "Barest Minimum Information" about the Recognized Political Parties and even that was denied to Voters going for elections and to applicant by EC.
Critical information sought from the EC through its PIO was,
----------------------- X ----------------------
Please provide following information & make it available to voters on EC website and through Press Advertisements.
1. Is there any "Uniform Law & Regulation" governing formation and conduct of "Recognized" political parties? Please provide it.
2. Please also provide details of any "Rules & Regulation" under consideration to regulate conduct of Recognized or Unrecognized Political Parties.
3. Please provide details of office bearers of all Recognized Political Parties, their Central Working Committee Members and President of their district units.
4. Please provide information about All Recognized Political Parties as per following table.
Recognized Party Name
Membership Info, Numbers,
- Time required, Procedure, Recommendations, membershipConditions.
Election Procedure of Central Working Committee Members
Procedure for appointing Vice Presidents, General Secretaries, Secretaries & Treasurers.
5. The above information may be updated every six months.
6. Since all the information is already available with EC, please do the needful within a week.
7. Provide this information to Press also.
------------------------------------- X -----------------------------
Conclusions & Remedy
Obviously the information sought is crucial for "Free & Fair Conduct of Lok Sabha Elections 2009.
Remedy 1. Please direct EC to provide the necessary information to the Press & to this applicant through EC Offices and put it on their websites 15 days before polling begins.
Remedy 2. Please provide the necessary documents sought by NGOs & Press free of cost in view of adequate budget sanctioned for conducting the election.
To post a message at Jharkhand Forum now you no more need to be member of Jharkhand Forum, simply email your message to Jharkhand@yahoogroups.com
If your message (write-up / article / discussion's reply etc) is approved by Moderator then, it will be circulated among 12,000+ registered members of Jharkhand Forum. Also, your message will be published on more than 30 public websites / blogs such as - http://blog.jharkhandi.org and http://www.jharkhand.org.in/blog